Company: Bering Straits Native Corporation
Posted on: September 11, 2023
OverviewVisit our website at www.beringstraits.com to apply!
-SUMMARY The Bering Straits Native Corporation Anchorage office is
currently seeking a qualified Benefits Administrator for the BSNC
Benefits Department. Under the direction of the Benefits Manager,
the Benefits Administrator has a significant role in managing and
administering employee benefits programs for the organization;
consisting of parent company and multiple subsidiary/joint ventures
conducting business in approximately thirty different states and
some overseas and foreign locations. The scope of benefits plans
encompasses health, dental, vision, life, disability, accidental
death and dismemberment, critical illness, group accident, 401(k)
plans, and other benefits for a diversified workforce of union,
Service Contract Act, Davis Bacon Act, and other employee classes.
Incumbent is responsible for possessing and maintaining technical
knowledge of related laws, practices, concepts, and trends.
ResponsibilitiesESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES The Essential
Duties and Responsibilities are intended to present a descriptive
list of the range of duties performed for this position and are not
intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Consults with and advises employees and management on
eligibility, provisions, and other matters related to benefits.
Resolves employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit
policies and procedures and coordinating with Benefits Manager,
Benefits Advocates, brokers, or other external sources.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by
studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified
opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management
on needed actions.
- Assists with planning, implementation, and administration of
- Collaborates on preparation and distribution of written and
verbal information to inform employees of benefits programs, such
as insurance and retirement plans, paid time off, and special
- Analyzes existing benefits policies of organization, and
prevailing practices among similar organizations, to establish
competitive benefits programs and presents finding to Benefits
Manager as well as recommendations.
- Evaluates services, coverage, and options available through
insurance and investment companies to determine programs best
meeting needs of organization.
- Ensures compliance of employee benefits programs with all legal
and contractual requirements, including ACA, ERISA, SCA, state and
local regulations, etc.
- Prepares and files required State and Federal reports or
ensures this is accomplished, such as 5500\u2019s.
- Plans modification of existing benefits programs, in accordance
with company goals and objectives and as required by law for
- Notifies employees and labor union representatives of changes
in benefits programs. -
- Work with TPA\u2019s and other vendors on benefit data and
administration \u2013 as needed by contracts.
- Directs performance of related functions, such as updating
records and processing insurance claims.
- Coordinates the administration of employee benefits programs,
such as basic and major medical coverage, dental insurance,
visions, group life insurance, disability, voluntary plans, 401(k)
plans, and other benefits, and open enrollment administration and
capture in related computer systems.
- Analyze annual employee census for use in review and selection
of insurance and benefit providers.
- Maintains benefits records and documents necessary for
implementing benefits coverage, including periodic audits of data
- Assists in the preparation of employee benefits booklets and
other employee benefits communications.
- Maintains benefit records by developing recordkeeping systems;
initiating new-hire benefits; recording and tracking changes.
- Expedites delivery of benefits by establishing and maintaining
working relationships with benefit providers.
- Reconciles benefits accounts and approve billing
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
societies.QualificationsQUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND
CERTIFICATIONTo perform this job successfully, an individual must
be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. Required (Minimum) Qualifications
- Associate\u2019s Degree in Human Resources, Business
Administration, Economics, or related field.
- 3+ years\u2019 experience with Corporate Health and Welfare
benefit programs at company with multiple subsidiaries and multiple
state operations. - Includes implementation and administration,
compliance and audit experience. -
- Experience with retirement plans including 401k (multiple
employer plan) and non-qualified deferred compensation plans.
- Experience with government contracting and associated benefits
\u2013 FEHB, SCA H&W fringe, union, wage determinations,
vacation and holiday benefits.
- Experience reconciling benefit deductions and billings with
employee deductions and contributions; including set up and
configuration of HRIS systems. -
- Basic knowledge of compensation plans, market data, short and
long term incentive compensation, and executive benefits.
- Dedication to continuous process improvement utilizing
automation and ERP systems
- Successful record of building and improving operational
processes and procedures, ability to drive program efficiency and
high levels of customer satisfaction.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities,
and Other Characteristics
- Experienced and skilled in MS Office applications
- Analyzing information, financial skills, maintaining employee
files, compensation and wage structure, administration of benefits,
conflict resolution, organizational astuteness and knowledge of
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws/regulations and
familiarity with employee benefits compliance processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills - ability to
interface with all levels of the organization.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and goal oriented.
- Self-starter able to work in a fast paced environment with
changing priorities. Ability to multi-task and be proactive in a
fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities,
deadlines, and workloads.Preferred
- Compensation experience, understanding and knowledge of
compensation plans, market data, short and long term incentive
compensation, and executive benefits.
- PHR/SPHR/GPHR or specific benefits certification (i.e.
Certified Employee Benefits Specialist) is highly desirable.
- Costpoint/Deltek experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in implementation of new programs strongly
- Project Management experience and use of PM tools strongly
- No supervisory responsibilities.NECESSARY PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Employees must always maintain a
constant state of mental alertness. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. Essential and marginal functions may require
maintaining physical condition necessary for bending, stooping,
sitting, walking, or standing for prolonged periods of time; most
of time is spent sitting in a comfortable position with frequent
opportunity to move about.DOT COVERED/SAFETY-SENSITIVE ROLE
- This position is not subject to federal requirements regarding
Department of Transportation \u201csafety-sensitive\u201d
functions. - WORK ENVIRONMENTWork Environment characteristics
described here are representative of those that must be borne by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. - Job is performed in an office setting with exposure to
computer screens and requires extensive use of a computer,
keyboard, mouse and multi-line telephone system. The work described
herein is primarily a modern office setting. Occasional travel may
be required.ADDITIONAL QUALIFYING FACTORS As a condition of
employment, may be required to pass a pre-employment drug
screening, as well as have acceptable reference and background
check results to obtain access to military base. Must have reliable
transportation to/from work a necessity and must be able to obtain
access to military installations.Shareholder Preference. -BSNC
gives hiring, promotion, training and retention preference to BSNC
shareholders, shareholder descendants and shareholder spouses who
meet the minimum qualifications for the job. -Bering Straits Native
Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will
receive consideration for employment, without regard to race,
color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, or
gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran
status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other
basis prohibited by law. -Equal Opportunity
Employer/Veterans/Disabled -We participate in the E-Verify
Employment Verification Program. We are a drug free
Keywords: Bering Straits Native Corporation, Anchorage , Benefits Administrator, Other , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!