Company: Anchorage Schools
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Bargaining Unit: ACE
Work Year: 230 days per year, 12 contract payments
OR 240 days per year, 12 contract payments
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: ACE 4
The Buyer assists in preparing quotes, purchase orders, and other
items while evaluating and setting the purchasing process for
incoming items. The position has a retirement association with the
Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
* A high school diploma or equivalent.
* Three years of responsible experience in the purchasing and
storage of supplies and equipment in a school district.
* Three years of technical experience.
* Knowledge of governmental purchasing procedures and
* Knowledge of laws, regulations, and policies affecting school
system purchasing and property disposal.
* Knowledge of specification preparation.
* Knowledge of materials, markets, marketing procedures, shipping
procedures, rates, and pricing methods.
* Knowledge of materials and services used in a public school
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
The following are preferred:
* A bachelor's degree in business administration, purchasing, or a
* Ability to operate a computer with experience in online data
* Working knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity and labor
relations regulations and policies.
Essential Job Functions
* Provides technical assistance in the preparation of quotations,
purchase orders, change notices for purchase of supplies,
equipment, and contracted services.
* Has signature and purchasing authority for delegated purchases
per ASD Board Policy 3311 and 3312, to include those purchases
authorized by Board Policy 3312.2, regardless of dollar value.
* Evaluates and determines the purchasing process for incoming
* Produces required correspondence to expedite critical purchased
* As a representative of ASD, revises or changes purchase orders,
effects cancellation, improves terms where possible, and obtains
* Performs computer system data entry.
* Coordinates essential activities required with ASD departments to
purchase required materials, supplies, equipment, and contracted
* Advises director of exceptional vendor performance, market
trends, and unusual conditions.
* Interviews vendors' agents and representatives and investigates
and recommends alternate sources of supply.
* Determines which purchases can be consolidated to obtain maximum
economic benefits and seeks methods wherein the competitive
quotation process can be improved.
* Reviews and assists purchasing agents on ASD training programs
for purchasing policies and procedures.
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing,
walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities
are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with
his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less
than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand
vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts
and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under
pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage
the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees
representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a
dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to
all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety
of individuals having differing functions, personalities and
abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a
variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be
regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed
to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the
only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position.
Employees will be required to follow any other job-related
instructions and to perform any other job related duties as
requested by any person authorized to give instructions or
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability
to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to
communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the
public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out
oral and written directions and understand and follow English
instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a
satisfactory criminal background check. For certificated positions,
this is in addition to the background check conducted through the
certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education
and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the
military installations (JBER). Please visit the government REAL ID
website for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity
Keywords: Anchorage Schools, Anchorage , Buyer, Other , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!