Service Technician (Anchorage)
Company: ENSTAR Natural Gas
Posted on: June 12, 2021
JOB SUMMARY: The Service Technician position responds to and
investigates reported gas leaks and line break emergencies; sets,
removes, locks, and unlocks meters; inspects gas piping and gas
appliances for code compliance; repairs/troubleshoots gas
appliances; relights appliances. Additionally, this position
investigates customer complaints concerning gas leakage or low
pressure and abnormal consumption of gas appliances. Also obtains
final and initial meter reads, handles collection activities, and
responds to and assists emergency responders on Carbon Monoxide
- Investigate gas odor/leak calls. (Examine meters, probe and
inspect above ground and below ground gas piping for gas
concentrations. Inspect appliance connections for leaks, such as
loose pipe joints, to pinpoint gas leaks.)
- Perform repairs, adjustments, and relights to natural gas
- Repair or replace gas meters, gas regulators, and meter
- Investigate suspected illegal use of gas.
- Install gas piping, rebuild meters sets, appliance connects,
- Discontinue or connect gas service to customer's establishment,
following written or oral instructions.
- Investigate customer complaints regarding high service cost.
(May inspect meters, valves, and pipes to detect defects such as
leaks or malfunctioning meters using testing equipment.)
- Perform collections activities including hanging door tags,
locking meters, obtaining reads, and discussing payment details
- Install commercial and residential-type gas meters and
regulators in buildings.
- Remove meters from vacated or abandoned buildings.
- Use portable computer to receive, create, cancel, and close
- Inspect gas piping and appliance installations for code
compliance on customers' premises.
- Work in all types of weather conditions especially in cold and
wet environments; may include walking through deep snow.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Three years' service/plumbing experience.
- Previous gas utility experience in customer service
- Must possess State of Alaska limited Plumber's License and
Municipality of Anchorage Gasfitters card, or qualify to take the
test. (ENSTAR will allow reasonable time to obtain required
- Experience with leak and Carbon Monoxide investigations.
- Experience with work that requires high mechanical
- Able to work standby, rotating shifts, extended hours,
weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to pass initial and continuous federally required
Operator Qualifications tests.
- Residency requirements per 10.7.1 of the Union Contract.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be qualified to
operate a vehicle under the conditions of the Safe Driving
- Ability to pass a background, driving, employment history, and
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret and apply Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical
- Ability to learn and understand ENSTAR's Standard Operating
Procedures (SOPs) as they relate to service department
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated. Must be able to
think and work independently with minimal supervision or assistance
- Must be able to perform emergency response functions.
- Must have good communication skills, be able to maintain good
customer service standards, and effectively handle conflict.
- Must be able to use portable computer for receiving, closing,
canceling work orders and viewing/modifying customer account
- Ability to interpret/enforce applicable codes related to
setting meters (gas piping, venting, etc.).
- Ability to read/interpret as-builts/maps; applicable code
- Ability to effectively operate various company supplied leak
investigation equipment. (Heath Pak, JW's, Gas Tracs)
- Ability to write legibly and complete detailed paperwork
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere through effective
interactions and communications with co-workers, customers and
- Must maintain a safe environment for co-workers, customers and
the public through adherence to established safety standards and
timely reporting of potential hazards.
- Must adhere to ENSTAR's policies and procedures related to the
code of business ethics, compliance, responsible use of assets, and
all applicable state and federal laws.
The statements contained in the job description are intended to
describe the general nature of tasks and responsibilities. It is
not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties assigned.
Other duties will be assigned as appropriate.
ENSTAR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Keywords: ENSTAR Natural Gas, Anchorage , Service Technician (Anchorage), Other , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!