This is a full-time position to provide project management and
transportation engineering assistance to Transportation Engineering
Sub-Practice Area. This position will provide leadership for
transportation design projects within the highway design specialty.
This position is expected to perform a variety of design and
management tasks with minimal supervision. Experience with Alaska
Department of Transportation and Public Facilities projects is
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Market potential clients prepare fee proposals/goal proposals
for new projects.
- Provide overall project management.
- Prepare fee proposals/goal proposals for new projects under
mentorship of the Project manager.
- Assist with project management; manage everyday project tasks,
budget and schedules.
- Delegates project assignments to engineers and
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other
professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare for and present projects at public meetings.
- Prepare and route project-related correspondence and record
- Implements corporate Quality Assurance Plan.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor
quality and progress of the work.
- Other engineering related duties as assigned.
- Prepares contract documents including construction plans,
specifications, estimates, and quantity tabulation sheets.
- Establishes design criteria, develops horizontal and vertical
alignments, performs superelevation design.
- Prepares design calculations for roadway related design
- Lead and perform field work to document condition assessments
and existing conditions.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD Civil3D drafting requirements in support
of design projects.
- Write, review, and edit engineering documents.
- Provides supervisory duties to junior staff.
- Mentors more junior staff and develops them for future growth
within the discipline and firm.
- Provides technical guidance and training to more junior
- Conduct technical reviews of transportation engineering related
tasks and project submittals.
Supervises a team of transportation engineers (from intern to
level 3). Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and
evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities
in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications. To be successful in this position, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Education and/or Experience
Candidates should possess a B.S. degree from an ABET accredited
civil engineering or related program and 6 years' progressive
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- PE Required: This position is for a licensed engineer to
practice Civil or Transportation Engineering in the state of
primary practice or should be licensed in a different state with
the ability to get the required license within 6 months of
- Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability
and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and
trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions,
percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience using AutoCAD Civil3D is highly desirable.
- Experience with urban and rural roadway design and knowledge of
Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Highway
Preconstruction Manual is highly desirable.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and
technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints
from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the
business community. Ability to effectively present information to
clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety
of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal
with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project
Physical Demands. The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and
hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use
hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally
lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this position include close vision and ability to
Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.