Licensed Practical Nurse
Company: Anchorage Schools
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Bargaining Unit: ACE
Work Year: 180 days per year
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Range: ACE C; A-M
The Licensed Practical Nurse is an Alaska Board of Nursing licensed
practical nurse (LPN), who provides direct services to meet the
health needs of the students and staff in the school building of
assignment, according to school district policies under the
supervision of the building principal and/or the delegating
registered nurse. The position has a retirement association with
the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A current Alaska LPN license.
- Current CPR/AED certification.
- Knowledge of scope and standards of practice for licensed
practical nurse in the state of Alaska.
- Knowledge of special education laws, procedures, and compliance
- Skill using a thermometer, stethoscope, sphygmomanometer,
audiometer, Sloan eye chart for visual screening, and AED.
- Skill with computers, including the ability to use hardware and
electronic medical record and Microsoft products used by ASD.
- Ability to understand student health situations that require
higher level nursing assessments and decisions based on scope and
standards of practice.
- Ability to walk, stand, lift, or stoop as needed to provide
health services for students and staff.
- Willingness to potentially be exposed to infectious
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The following are preferred:
- Two years of clinical pediatric experience.
- Knowledge of mandated school health services in the educational
Essential Job Functions
- Provides nursing services within the LPN scope of practice and
under the direction of the delegating RN:
- Immunization status review
- Diabetes and seizure management
- Linkage with community providers
- Health promotion
- Injury and disease prevention, intervention, and education
- Collaborates with the building principal, counselors, teachers,
and parents regarding the health needs of students.
- Maintains daily contact with students and staff, and frequent
contact with delegating nurse and parents/guardians.
- Provides direct care for students with chronic conditions
according to individual health care plans established by the
delegating RN. Student specific health related direction by the
delegating RN and Senior Director of Healthcare Services.
- Collaborates with the delegating RN in developing
individualized health plans and emergency plans for students with
chronic conditions and notifies delegating RN of changes in medical
- Maintains accurate and confidential student health records for
daily episode and chronic condition visits, including medication
- Carries out mandatory screening programs per state and district
policy, refers, and reports results to the delegating RN.
- Reports student and staff injuries/occurrences to Risk
Management, according to school district policies.
- Attends nurse staff meetings.
- Maintains medical equipment in health room.
- Monitors and reports safety concerns in school building.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing,
walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities
are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with
his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less
than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate
by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and
have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall
facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions
under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively
manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other
employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work
styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to
all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety
of individuals having differing functions, personalities and
abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a
variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be
regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed
to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the
only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position.
Employees will be required to follow any other job-related
instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as
requested by any person authorized to give instructions or
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to
read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate
in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees
must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and
written directions and understand and follow English instructions
and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a
satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the
military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity
Keywords: Anchorage Schools, Anchorage , Licensed Practical Nurse, Healthcare , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!