Assistant Director Fine Arts
Company: Anchorage School District
Posted on: August 5, 2022
- Assistant Director Fine Arts JobID: 12596
- Position Type:
Certificated Administration/ Assistant Director Fine Arts
- Date Posted:
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Bargaining Unit: Exempt
Work Year: 12 months
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: $ 110,000 to $112,500 , DOE
The Assistant Director of Fine Arts is responsible for the
development, implementation, and oversight of the Anchorage School
District Fine Arts programs, including music, art, and theatre. The
assistant director is responsible for the direct supervision of
select districtwide itinerant music teachers as well as the
department administrative assistant. The assistant director reports
to and is evaluated by the senior director of Teaching and
Learning. This position requires a valid Alaska administrative
certificate and has a retirement association with the Alaska
Teachers' Retirement System (TRS).
The following are required:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in fine arts or a related
- A valid Alaska type B administrative certificate by start
- A minimum of three years of administrative experience or
program leadership experience.
- A minimum of three years of certificated teaching experience.
The following are preferred:
- A valid teaching certificate from Alaska or another state.
- A demonstrated high-level ability to communicate clearly and
professionally in both writing and speaking.
- Evidence of experience in or with:
- Music and art curriculum development
- Teacher and staff development
- Music and art-related technology
- Evidence of the ability to:
- Provide effective districtwide leadership
- Collaborate and work effectively stakeholders and the
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse populations -
Essential Job Functions
- Articulates ASD's fine arts programs to teachers, principals,
- Works with community and professional groups in a constructive
and cooperative manner.
- Leads the development, provision, and monitoring of fine arts
- Recruits and hires departmental teachers and staff as
- Supervises and evaluates assigned staff, including orchestra
teachers, elementary band teachers, middle school choir teachers,
assigned clerical staff, and the curriculum coordinator for Fine
- Develops the departmental budget and manages expenditures of
- Leads the coordination of districtwide concerts, festivals, and
- Serves as district liaison for special music and fine arts
- Chairs and facilitates the department Curricular and Advisory
- Provides for administrative and teacher supervision of specific
evening and weekend districtwide arts events.
- Is responsible for professional development planning and
logistics and in-services for music and fine arts staff.
- Monitors and provides oversight of the implementation of
appropriate curriculum and materials to support all music and art
- Assists in recruiting and retaining talented fine arts teachers
- Assists administration and principals in the selection,
assignment, and evaluation of music and art staff where
- Addresses parent and public concerns regarding music and fine
- Prepares reports as required for administration and the
Anchorage School Board.
- Provides for acquisition, maintenance, and assignment of
district-owned instruments, equipment, and materials. -
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing,
walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities
are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with
his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less
than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand
vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts
and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under
pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage
the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees
representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a
dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to
all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety
of individuals having differing functions, personalities and
abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a
variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be
regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed
to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the
only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position.
Employees will be required to follow any other job-related
instructions and to perform any other job related duties as
requested by any person authorized to give instructions or
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability
to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to
communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the
public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out
oral and written directions and understand and follow English
instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a
satisfactory criminal background check. For certificated positions,
this is in addition to the background check conducted through the
certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education
and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the
military installations (JBER). Please visit the government REAL ID
website for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity
Email To A Friend
Postings current as of 7/23/2022 3:00:35 AM CST. Powered by
applicant tracking, a product of Frontline Education.
Keywords: Anchorage School District, Anchorage , Assistant Director Fine Arts, Executive , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!