Director of Quality, Compliance & Privacy - Kenai, Alaska - Kenaitze Indian Tribe
Company: Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Director of Quality, Compliance & Privacy - Kenai, Alaska -
Kenaitze Indian Tribe Tracking Code 20201856 Job Description This
position has principal authority and responsibility for the
development of compliance implementation, HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2
Privacy rule oversight and the quality management program for the
Tribe. Required Skills Quality Management Responsibilities:
- Supports all managers and senior leaders in the development,
coordination, and implementation of the Tribe's quality
- Works closely with the Quality Committee and Health Board to
develop and maintain a system for the monitoring and evaluation of
quality improvement plans for effectiveness and
- Keeps leadership aware of risks and opportunities for
improvement that require system modifications and leadership
- Facilitates the organization's participation in outside
quality-related initiatives that serve to advance quality.
- Assists in establishing and managing quality management
policies and procedures in cooperation with clinical staff and
- Works collaboratively with and across all the quality
specialties (safety, human resource management, orientation,
continuing education, corporate compliance, utilization management,
clinical case management, HIPAA compliance, pharmacy and
therapeutics, contract management, credentialing, privileging, peer
review, un'ina advocacy, service recovery, un'ina satisfaction,
employee health, and personal performance and growth) to minimize
the functional silo approach to quality and create an effective
safety net that maximizes the potential to get work right the first
time while minimizing the risk for error and avoiding the wasteful
utilization of resources.
- Integrates quality and risk prevention/management related
activities to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of
quality improvement opportunities when risks that can threaten an
un'ina, employee or the organization are identified.
- Partners with healthcare team members, un'ina and families to
continuously solicit feedback and information to improve un'ina
safety and quality in ways that foster strong un'ina satisfaction.
Receives and investigates un'ina complaints with the goal of timely
resolution for the un'ina in an un'ina-focused way.
- Acts as a coach and mentor to all levels of staff, providing
feedback and support in areas of compliance and performance
- Complies and maintains various codes, laws, rules, and
regulations concerning un'ina care, including those mandated by
state and federal agencies. Working with the quality specialties to
ensure an effective system for knowing the most current outside
standards that can impact care delivery and clinic operations.
- Prepares reports for leadership, management and the Council
regarding trends, patterns, opportunities for improvement and
pertinent quality-related activities.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of
quality-related training for orientation and continuing
- Serves as the System Administrator for the usage of Quality
support system of the Tribe's quality, risk prevention, un'ina
satisfaction and employee satisfaction activities. Compliance and
Privacy Officer Responsibilities:
- Acts as the HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2 Privacy Officer.
- Investigate all instances of suspected illegal or unethical
conduct, and seek the advice of qualified legal counsel as
- Oversee the development and plan for a Kenaitze Indian Tribe's
overall and Health System Compliance Program.
- Establishment of a Compliance Committee.
- Directing methods to improve the Tribe's efficiency and quality
of services and to reduce the Tribe's vulnerability to fraud and
abuse, Privacy such as conducting periodic audits, developing
effective lines of communication on compliance issues, and
preparing, maintaining, implementing, and disseminating written
practice standards and procedures.
- Periodically revising the Compliance Program, Privacy rule or
recommending such revisions, in light of changes in the needs of
the Tribe or changes in the law and/or in the standards and
procedures of government and private payer health plans.
- Developing, coordinating, and participating in training
programs that focus on the components of the Compliance Program,
HIPAA Privacy and seek to ensure that all--as well as employees,
contractors, agents, consultants, volunteers, and others who act on
the Tribe's behalf--are knowledgeable of, and comply with,
pertinent Federal and State standards and the requirements of the
Tribe's Compliance Program.
- Investigating, independently or with qualified legal counsel,
and acting on any report or allegation of unethical or improper
conduct or business practices, and implementing and monitoring
appropriate corrective action and/or subsequent compliance.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to leadership and teams
about the Program, and develops, delivers and tracks special
training for Dena'ina Wellness Center.
- Develops reviews, completes assessments, and manages Compliance
Action Plan (CAP) development and remediation for the Tribe.
- Track and ensure compliance with privacy requirements for
disclosures of protected health information, including business
associate agreements, and requests for medical records and
- Monitor industry and regulatory developments, and make
compliance and privacy recommendations.
- Follow federal, state and local legal guidelines. It is the
intent of this job description to highlight the essential functions
of the position; however, it is not an all-inclusive list. The
incumbent may be called upon and required to follow or perform
other duties and tasks requested by his/her supervisor, consistent
with the purpose of the position, department and/or the Kenaitze
Indian Tribe's objectives. Performance Outcomes In performance of
the above essential functions, the Director of
Quality/Compliance/Privacy shall meet the following performance
- Current, accurate and timely financial information is
communicated with staff, leadership, Council, tribal departments,
community partners, grantors, and auditors.
- The Quality/Compliance/Privacy team is high performing,
fostered by a positive work environment and centered on learning
and appreciation for each team members' strengths.
- Goals and outcomes of the annual strategic plan are
successfully completed in a timely manner.
- Solutions are provided, based on accurate information and data,
when problems arise.
- Policies and procedures are reviewed annually and new policies
and procedures are created as needed. Travel (Check if required to
travel is an essential function of the position) Local In-State
Out-of-State Comments: Travel may be required for meetings and
trainings. Required Experience Education
- Bachelor's degree in law, health sciences, or related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in health care
- Previous Healthcare Privacy Officer experience preferred.
- Knowledge of principals of effective risk management.
- Knowledge of available resources within the Alaska Tribal
Health System and community. Special Skills
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing,
with all levels of staff.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with medical
information, as well as other confidential information and conform
to HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2 regulations.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team, with frequent
interruptions, occasional public contact, and occasional crisis
- Must have strong understanding of fiscal, administrative and
- Healthcare industry knowledge in all aspects of compliance,
privacy and quality management.
- Strong confident, leader and motivator with a track record of
being a self-starter who exercises sound judgment and impeccable
- Highly organized and focused on delivering results with
experience in analysis and reporting. Preferred
- Master's degree in law, health sciences, or related field.
- Paralegal certificate.
- Healthcare Corporate Compliance and Privacy certification.
- Certified Professional in Health Care Quality (CPHCQ) or
- Knowledge & experience working with cultural diversities. Job
Location Kenai, Alaska, United States Position Type
Keywords: Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Anchorage , Director of Quality, Compliance & Privacy - Kenai, Alaska - Kenaitze Indian Tribe, Executive , Kenai, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!