Posted on: January 12, 2019
This is a full-time entry-level position to provide project management and civil engineering assistance to the Civil Engineering and Transportation Planning & Engineering Practice Areas.
Traffic Engineer's Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Perform advanced engineering calculations for transportation and traffic engineering design projects.
2. Gather traffic data to include manual and machine traffic counts, pedestrian counts, delay and queue measurements, vehicle speed observations, and other transportation-related data needs.
3. Assist with traffic engineering calculations, analysis, computer aided modeling and simulation efforts, and design reviews in support of civil and transportation design projects.
4. Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
5. Prepare and route project related correspondence and record keeping.
6. Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
7. Using advanced knowledge, write and edit construction specifications, planning documents and engineering reports.
8. Assist with tabulating bid items and calculating construction bid quantities from plans and specifications. Estimate construction costs.
9. Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
10. Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or ExperienceMinimum Baccalaureate degree from an ABET-accredited civil engineering program or the requisite years of progressive engineering experience and educational study, as prescribed by the local jurisdiction, to be eligible to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and up to three years experience in construction or civil engineering field is required.
Certificates, Licenses, RegistrationsCertification as an E.I./EIT is required. Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- MicroStation or AutoCAD ,and GIS knowledge and experience is highly desirable.
- Traffic engineering software including McTrans, Synchro and TransCAD or PTV Vissim experience is highly desirable.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public. He/she must also have excellent writing skills and be able to communicate effectively with large and diverse groups.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project software.
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
DOWL is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority, female, veteran, and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
Our company THRIVES ON DIFFERENCES! All we ask is that our employees and applicants continue to learn how to work better together. We believe in adjustment first, accommodation always. We believe that people come to work every day with positive intent.
Applications accepted online only at company careers webpage -
Keywords: DOWL, Anchorage , Traffic Engineer, Engineering , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!