Manager, Transmission Engineering
Company: Center for Watershed Protection
Posted on: May 27, 2023
Summary This position is accountable for developing and
maintaining a strong team to provide engineering services to the
Association. This position will lead two departments comprised of
transmission and planning engineers who oversee design aspects of
Chugach's transmission and substation assets as well as system
planning. This position also helps to set direction to develop
electrical infrastructure of the Association, aligning with
corporate goals, strategic objectives, reliability, and regulatory
reporting requirements. Additionally, provide stewardship over
company record documentation pertaining to transmission and
substation assets, system modeling and reporting. Essential
- Develop and manage transmission engineers, for aspects of
overhead, underground and undersea transmission and
sub-transmission line design. Apply aspects of outdoor air and gas
- Ensure all operating substation and transmission lines conform
with current codes and standards.
- Utilize internal and external resources to create and maintain
a substation grounding analysis program which will comply with NESC
code and safeguard cooperative personnel.
- Develop standards for substation materials and equipment
- Develop annual department budget. Monitor actual expenditures,
compare against budget and forecasts costs. Provide monthly
- Manage steward substation and transmission line
- Create capital improvement recommendations that enhance
service, improve productivity and reliability, and meet strategic
- Manage all plan reviews required by local, state, federal
agencies and private parties are efficiently carried out and
- Review current practice, benchmarks against leading performers,
and implements best practices to improve overall service levels and
productivity; establishes performance indicators and measurement
systems and holds subordinates accountable for performance.
- Manage divisional goals, review and evaluate staff
- Assist in the annual Engineering Division capital and expense
- Implement and enforce bargaining unit contracts in consultation
with the Vice President, Human Resources.
- Serve as a representative of Chugach in the formulation of
development projects with other utilities and agencies.
- Review and update the professional engineer ethics and
standards for the Division's Professional Engineering staff.
- Manage all Chugach land interests are accounted for with local,
state and federal agencies in addition to private landowners.
- Leverage and cultivate external resources for station and line
design as needed.
- Other duties as assigned. Competencies
- Knowledge of electric utility systems operations, construction,
and maintenance. Must understanding of the operation of an
electrical utility system, including distribution systems.
- Must have knowledge of tools, equipment, and materials utilized
in construction and maintenance of electrical utility systems.
Understanding of the maintenance and operation of a wide variety of
electrical equipment and apparatus.
- Knowledge of Uniform System of Accounts; RUS construction
specifications; RUS Approved List of Materials; National Electrical
Safety Code; OSHA Rules and Regulations; construction materials and
practices; construction/material contracts; assembly and material
specifications, and knowledge of the effect of cold weather on
- Knowledge of the planning, operation and maintenance of
electric utility transmission systems and familiar with system
protection, is Must have knowledge of computer software and
hardware and familiarity with the applicable analysis
- Knowledge of IEEE standards and the ability to apply them as
- Knowledge of substation and transmission line design processes
and technologies used.
- Familiar with GIS data bases and software tools. Knowledge of
CAD design tools and file storage systems.
- Familiar with municipal, state and federal regulations, codes
- Ability to manage multiple priorities. Must possess oral and
written skills. Must have the ability to coach subordinates and
resolve employee conflicts. Must have the ability to prepare and
administer employee performance reviews.
- Proficient in use of personal computer and use of word
processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and project
management software. Must be knowledgeable of budgetary
- Must possess a valid driver's license. Supervisory
Responsibility This position has the supervisory responsibility for
the transmission and planning engineers. Work Environment Office
and fieldwork conditions, some of which may be under outage
conditions requiring work at all hours until the condition is
resolved. Periodic field trips may be required, occasionally on
light aircraft. Occasional out of town travel may be required.
Company Description Chugach Electric Association is a member-owned
cooperative, headquartered in Anchorage, Alaska's largest city.
Anchorage itself sits at the base of the Chugach Mountains. Chugach
is pleased to provide reliable, affordable power to more than
92,000 members from Anchorage to the northern Kenai Peninsula, and
from Whittier on Prince William Sound to Tyonek on the west side of
Cook Inlet. We service over 113,000 locations with 3,782 miles of
transmission and distribution lines. We have many services that
make it easy to power homes and businesses with Chugach. Chugach's
corporate vision: Responsibly developing energy to build a clean,
sustainable future for Alaska. Chugach's corporate mission: We
provide safe, reliable, and affordable electricity through superior
service and sustainable practices, powering the lives of our
members. Chugach's corporate values: Guided by our values of
safety, accountability, and sustainability, we are committed to
serving our members, the community, and the Chugach team. Equal
Employment Opportunity It is a policy of Chugach Electric
Association, Inc., to recruit, hire, train, promote, and compensate
persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin,
sex, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, physical or mental
disability, veteran's status, age, or any other classification
protected by applicable, federal, state, or local law. Chugach is
also an affirmative action employer. Benefits Health Benefits
- Medical & RX
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Telemedicine Financial Security
- 401K Plan
- Defined Benefit (Pension)
- Retirement Investment services
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance paid for by Chugach
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Flex Spending Account (Health, Limited Use, Dependent Care)
Work, Life, Health
- 20 days vacation for first year of employment
- 9 Paid Holidays
- 2 Float Holidays & 1 Birthday Holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
- MetLife Will Preparation Minimum Qualifications and Experience
Education Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil or
Mechanical Engineering; required. Master's degree in Engineering
Management or Business Administration, preferred. Registered
Professional Engineer, State of Alaska; required. Experience Seven
(7) years of progressively responsible experience in engineering
design, operation, construction, maintenance, planning, budgeting,
capital improvement programming, including supervisory
responsibility, required. Experience must include planning, design
and construction of transmission and substation facilities. Must
have civil engineering experience as needed for understanding of
complete design, including geotechnical requirements, foundation,
and structures. Must possess a valid driver's license. Experience
working in a union environment preferred.
Keywords: Center for Watershed Protection, Anchorage , Manager, Transmission Engineering, Engineering , Anchorage, Alaska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...